CONTEXT FOR MINISTRY: The Ministerial Excellence, Support & Authorization Ministry Team (MESA) serves as the touch point for ministers in the United Church of Christ throughout their ministry. MESA resources Members in Discernment, Local Church Ministers, those serving in Specialized Ministry and all ministers during times of transition. MESA also resources Committees on Ministry and Conference staff regarding ministerial authorization, covenants of mutual accountability and Search and Call. A team job description can be found at www.ucc.org/ministers_mesa
GENERAL PURPOSE OF POSITION: Committees on Ministry and Conference Staff are core constituents of the Ministerial Excellence, Support & Authorization Ministry Team. The Minister for Committee on Ministry Development and Leadership coordinates resources for training and empowerment of these partners. The position is charged with the coordination of trainings related to the United Church of Christ Manual on Ministry
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To identify emerging needs of Committees on Ministry in the United Church of Christ as related to the UCC Manual on Ministry and to develop long and short term strategies to address those emerging needs.
- To track, coordinate and resource trainings across the UCC related to the Manual on Ministry.
- To facilitate coordination among Conference Staff working with COMs and to equip and support them to maximize COMs impact and visibility throughout the United Church of Christ.
- Collaborate with others to develop and implement on-line education for Committees on Ministry.
- Work cooperatively with partners across the UCC in creating and planning the bi-annual Authorizing Ministry in the 21st Century: AM21 event.
- Work cooperatively with partners across the UCC in creating and planning orientation sessions for new conference staff.
- Assemble and update training materials produced by the MESA Team, including integration of the 2018 edition of the Manual on Ministry
- Track and collaborate with partners on materials that will require updates as a result of the 2018 edition of the Manual on Ministry.
- Serve as a consultant to the Covenanted Ministries, Conferences and other parts of the church
- Work in conjunction with other MESA members and colleagues to conceptualize and prepare material to interpret program objectives.
- Promote the program's positive public image by responding in writing and orally on a timely basis to inquiries for information, accepting speaking engagements, and serving as a resource.
- Contribute to the effectiveness of work teams by fostering a spirit of cooperation and accomplishing assigned tasks.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required to perform successfully in this position.
- Master's degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline such as in areas of divinity, theology, or leadership development.
- Ministerial Authorization preferred, United Church of Christ or the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
- Demonstrated experience in working with Committees on Ministry.
- Member of a local church of the United Church of Christ.
- Demonstrated experience in on-line education.
- Understanding of the polity and structures of the United Church of Christ.
- Desire and sensitivity to work in diverse racial, ethnic, cultural and religious settings with a commitment to diversity in the workplace as well as in one's understanding of mission.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and collegially as well as independently.
- Demonstrated written and oral English language skills, including ability to conceptualize and develop print resources; public speaking skills and knowledge of a second language when applicable.
- Demonstrated administrative skills.
- Competency in leadership planning, development and training.
- Ability to travel within the United States.
- Must be a self-starter, able to prioritize work and to perform with minimum supervision.
- Computer experience and ease with adapting to new technology.
Comprehensive Benefits Package: Employer paid health, dental, life, and pension benefits
This job description is not intended to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required for the position and is subject to review and change at any time in accordance with the needs of the ministry. Since no job description can detail all duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in the performance of a position, duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a position shall also be considered part of the position holder's responsibility.
It is expected that the person who holds this position will conduct themselves in a manner consistent with the policies of the UCC and in a manner that will reflect positively on the organization. All staff are encouraged to nurture safety within the work performed on behalf of the UCC by being attentive to self-care, education, maintaining appropriate boundaries, and the importance of referring those in need to supportive and helpful resources.
Location/Region: Cleveland, OH (US - 44115)