First American Title Insurance Company, the largest subsidiary of First American Financial Corporation (NYSE: FAF), traces its history to 1889. One of the largest title insurers in the nation, the company offers title services through its direct operations and an extensive network of agents throughout the United States and abroad. First American Title provides comprehensive title insurance coverage and professional services for purchases, construction, refinances, or equity loans. The company’s thorough searches, title clearance, and insurance help to produce clear property titles and enable the efficient transfer of real estate. First American was named one of FORTUNE's 100 Best Companies to Work For® in 2016 and 2017. For more information, visit www.firstam.com
- Examines chain of title primarily for commercial/industrial properties but may expand into commercial and/or industrial
- Performs title examination of complex title orders requiring a high level of title expertise
- Abstracts and analyzes records, such as leases, subleases, acreage, liens, judgments, easements, vital statistics, and plot and map books. Determines ownership and legal restrictions and to verify legal description of property and completeness of records for examinations, including multi-site properties.
- Writes title products based on the interpretation and application of procedural guidelines
- Provides underwriting interpretation within established guidelines
- May have customer contact
- Assignments are complex and varied in nature, usually requiring originality and ingenuity.
- Uses experience to interpret documents and situations with some latitude for un-reviewed action or decision.
Supervision Received or Extended
- No formal supervisory responsibility but is resource to less experienced team members
- Works independently for most aspects of the job
- Typically exercises judgment within defined policies and procedures over a broad area
- Resolves escalated issues from team members; may escalate issues to more experienced Title Examiners/manager
Knowledge and Skills/Technology Used
- Strong detail / quality orientation
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- Customer service orientation
- Strong MS skill set
- Knowledge of legal terms used in title documents
- Able to read and decipher legal descriptions relating to title orders
- High School Diploma or equivalent
Typical Range of Experience
- 6+ years directly related experience
License or Certification
- Multiple state licenses (as required by state) in order to do business in a broad geographic area
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
First American invests in its employee’s development and well-being, empowers them to provide superior customer service and encourages them to serve the communities where they live and work. First American is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer. For more information about our Company and our dedication to putting People First, check out firstam.com/careers.
Location/Region: Largo, FL