As Head Coach, you are responsible for reporting to the Director of Athletics and are responsible for the following:
Characteristics, Duties, and Responsibilities
• Responsible for coordinating practices, scrimmages and competitive games.
• Administer all aspects of esports program including: recruiting, scouting, game/match and practice preparation, and familiar with the use of social media as a recruiting tool.
• Recruiting and retaining the appropriate number of student athletes to be able to compete at the highest level within your sport.
• Responsible for requesting, communicating and facilitating maintenance or replacing game hardware.
• Fostering an environment that supports and encourages each student-athlete to graduate
in a timely fashion.
• Establish appropriate game strategies for esports team to build skill and ability to compete.
• Understanding of esports productions, which includes, setting up a broadcast booth in the esports team room.
• Knowing and adhering to the athletic policies and protocol of Union County College and the eligibility requirements and rules and regulations of the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA)
• Updating and maintaining student/athlete’s eligibility. Working closely with our student athletes, Academic advisor for student athletes, Coordinator of Student Advisement/Athletics and faculty to help ensure the academic success of the student athletes.
• Attending the Athletic Orientation and Coaches Council meetings.
• Conducting yourself and the Team in such a manner as to reflect a positive image for the team and Union County College, both on and off the playing arena. You are charged with ensuring that both you and the members of the team conduct yourselves with a high degree of moral integrity as representatives of Union County College at all public appearances whether on or off campus.
• The head coach will be fully responsible for driving the van, including attaining and maintaining full positive status on the authorized drivers list, following school van policy, notifying appropriate contacts if lost or late for a game, keeping the NJCAA website current, submitting timely expense reports, following up with the Director of Athletics.
• Communication will be via phone or in person. Voicemail will be for emergency only.
• Distribute meal money for all road games to the student athletes. Reconcile the dollars and return any overage to the Athletic Department on a bi-weekly basis. Follow all school policies including Finance and Purchasing. Plan all overnight trips. Complete all required paperwork before and after the trip. Have student athletes sign overnight trip code of conduct as necessary.
• Established and maintain an active e-mail address.
• All statistical reports are the responsibility of the head coach. Any fines or penalties imposed by league will be the responsibility of the head coach.
• Head Coach will be responsible for hiring, firing and supervising the Assistant Coaching staff. The Head Coach and the Assistant Coach must follow all legal and college regulations.
• Following medical guidelines for injured athletes per ATC/Team physician.
• Maintaining accurate records of actual time spent in all duties as the head coach by completing and submitting bi-monthly timesheets.
• Head Coach must be present at all games and practices.
• Must encourage athletes to attend select athletic events in support of other teams.
• Performing such other functions in connection with your position as may be assigned by the Director of Athletics.
• Bachelor’s Degree required
• Three (3) years experience in coaching preferred at the college level.
• Coaching and/or playing experience required.
• Knowledge of League of Legends and Overwatch.
• Valid Driver’s License required and clean driving record.
Competencies and Skills Required
Physical Demands and Work Environment
• This position’s duties are normally performed in an outside setting or inside gymnasium as work environment, based on the activity scheduled.
• Some physical effort required; however, the employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
• Some travel required.
• Must pass a pre-employment background check and drug screening.
Union County College does not discriminate and prohibits discrimination, as required by state and/or federal law, in all programs and activities, including employment and access to its career and technical programs.
Union County College is an EEO/AAP Employer/Protected Veteran/Disabled
Disclaimer: This job description outlines the general nature and key features performed by various positions that share the same job classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and qualifications required of all employees assigned to the job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or re-assign duties to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodations or other business reasons.
Terms of Employment
Seasonal employment, per individual contract. Flexible schedule to meet department needs. Some evening, weekends, and extended hours will be required. Ability and willingness to travel on short notice to all on and off- campus sites as needed by the college. Employee must establish primary residency in New Jersey within one year of appointment unless an exemption applies.
About this company
As the oldest community college in New Jersey, UCC has been serving both career-minded and transfer-oriented students since 1933. The College has maintained its commitment to scholarship by providing a solid liberal arts foundation while, at the same time, developing new programs and courses that meet the challenges of a rapidly developing society.
UCC is focused on ensuring that our programs and facilities are equipped to prepare students for the intellectual and technological demands of the 21st century. All four UCC campuses boast advanced data and voice infrastructures that can support the latest in computer hardware and software. All credit students are offered their own college e-mail accounts through which they can communicate with UCC's outstanding faculty, fellow students, and the vast world of knowledge and information available through the World Wide Web. Distance learning opportunities, such as courses by videotape, are increasing with each semester.
Even more important, UCC has a reputation for providing its diverse student body with a nurturing and supportive environment. Student services from counseling and financial aid to the tutoring provided by the Academic Learning Centers on each campus are in place to ensure student success.
For those wishing to pursue a bachelors degree, the economics of spending the first two years at Union County College coupled with the dual admissions and transfer /articulation agreements that the College has in place, can ease the road to junior year status at a long list of colleges and universities throughout the U.S. While here, students have the chance to participate in a range of activities. These include a five-star chapter of the honor society of Phi Theta Kappa, an award-winning student newspaper, a modern fitness center, and a range of athletic programs. In 1998, the UCC Owls and Lady Owls were the first teams from one college to become the Men's and Women's Garden State Athletic Conference Basketball Champions in the same year.
Whether you are a recent high school graduate, an adult returning to school after a hiatus, an employee seeking additional training or a new career, Union County College can be your . . . access to the 21st century!
Location/Region: Cranford, NJ