Job ID 86560 Full / Part Time:Full time
The scheduling specialist acts as a bridge for referring physicians and patients. The scheduling specialist is responsible to ensure appropriate and timely access of care for patients throughout the Northern, Eastern and Metro regions within Baystate Health System.The scheduling team serves as a partner with Baystate Medical Practices (BMP), physicians and other care providers and their clinical teams to ensure integrated, patient-centered care that ensures timely delivery with appropriate provider access for patient care. The service team fosters communications and high level service and satisfaction to clients (referring physicians and patients).The scheduling specialist will understand patient conditions and needs from the referring physician and then utilizes his or her clinical and administrative knowledge to make decisions that will enable the most expedient and efficient access to care. The scheduling specialist is responsible for ensuring efficient work processes, positive referral outcomes that meet physician and patient needs, and strong relationships with clients that build loyalty of all referring physicians and patients.
1) Responds to physician BMP, Community Providers needs to ensure appropriate and timely access to care for patients with BMP Specialists. Investigates issues/problems as identified by referring physicians and/or their associates, which may require considerable initiative and investigation, judgment and discretion regarding patient’s clinical diagnosis that will guide decision-making for selection of BMP MD Specialist and timing of patient care.
2) Responds to referring physician needs and concerns in a timely manner. Provides responses to ordering physician to BMP Specialist MD for consults via telephone, fax and online portals promptly, professional, sensitive and courteous manner.
3) Coordinates the scheduling for outpatient appointments, interventional and surgical procedures within established timeframes for referring physicians often requiring coordinating patient care with a variety of departments throughout the health system including clinical managers, physicians, ancillary, and procedural areas to include remote site anesthesia and preevaluation areas.
4) Engages directly with patients to support timely, appropriate appointment scheduling.
5) Responsible for obtaining referrals, authorizations and diagnosis that meet medical neccessity requirements to ensure maximum reimbursement for clinic visits and outpatient testing. Review CIS information to ensure correct clinic appointment type and duration has been assigned.
6) Troubleshoots difficult and hard to resolve problems, using a high level of judgment and knowledge of health system processes and functions. In solving problems, works closely with BMP physicians, residents, practice teams (clinical and non-clinical), and schedulers in meeting referring physician requests on behalf of patient needs. Uses judgment regarding issues regarding need to escalate to the ancillary department, procedural area managers communicates all sensitive information and challenges/problems to the Manager.
7) Working with case mangement and PA’s to identify and schedule office visits with-in the recommended time frame. Improve access to patient care by coorinating post discharge ancillary testing and clinic appointment prior to discharge.
8) Provides accurate documentation following all established processes and protocols. Utilizes Baystate clinical and administrative computer programs to access and provide needed patient and physician information and for communications with medical practices.
9) Proficient in the following applications: CIS, Centricity Business, ORSOS, Compliance Checker, SMS, I priveledges and 3M.
10) Demonstrates use of quality/process improvement in daily activities. Positively support and adopt to change and enhancements as needed.
11) Engaged and Customer Focus. Able to work effectively in a team environment.
12) Maintain an accuracy average rate >/= 97%. Able to process call processing for mutiple practices and or service line activities, anxillary and diagnostic testing, as well as schedule surgical procedures.
13) Performs mentoring responsibilities during new staff introductory period.
14) Content expert for assigned activities and resource to team.
15) Acts as a role model for staff by exhibiting positivity, confidence, and an overall professional attitude.
16) Exceeds both departmental QA and Productivity standards.
17) Types > 25 wpm.
18) Mastery of Advanced ASR activities.
Required Work Experience:
1) Five years of experience in a physician office or health care setting
2) Demonstrated understanding of clinical diagnosis, medical specialties and general patterns of patient care
3) Understanding of referral relationships required along with a good working knowledge of the client service function
4) Able to adapt to fast paced, high energy department
5) Strong oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
6) Maintain strict standard of confidentiality
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None listed
Skills and Compentencies:
1) Successfully completed a medical terminology course or will successfully complete approved course within onExperienced and comfortable working with physicians/medical professionals, with the goal of meeting their needs
2) Solid communication skills in English (both written and verbal)
3) Positive, upbeat personality with a positive outlook
4) Orientation focused on service excellence
5) Experienced and familiar with medical practices, hospital services, operations and environment
6) Ability to use phone, computer and related technology
7) Ability to communicate in writing and orally in English, in a consistent professional manner reflecting the Baystate Operating Principles
8) Ability to effectively manage multiple projects
9) Demonstrated ability to problem solve
10) Demonstrated ability to develop, maintain effective working relationships with internal and external clients in a professional and positive manner
11) Ability to influence outcomes without direct line of authority and in a professional and postive manner
12) Ability to plan, organize and manage resources within prescribed timeframes (prioritize and focus)
13) Ability to identify and respond proactively to primary client/customer needs with the amount of detail needed to achieve resolution (service orientation)
14) Ability to actively listen and engage in communications to ensure understanding of requests/needs of clients
15) Ability and willingness to learn new processes, software or other tools as needed to ensure efficiency and effectiveness
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Location/Region: Holyoke, MA