Do you have a passion for using technology to bring about social change? Do you want to be part of innovative solutions that promote sustainable social impact? If so, come join the team at Benetech! We are a nonprofit that empowers communities with software for social good.
The Business Development Officer will be project manager and primary contributor on a broad portfolio of assigned and developed research and writing projects, in order to develop and acquire new funding sources to support multiple programs and projects at Benetech.
This role requires excellent organizational, writing and analytical skills, the ability to produce grant proposals, budgets, and reports that support Benetech's short- and long-term fundraising goals, in addition to strategic leadership and execution. The position will also work with other members of the Business Development, Engineering, and Senior Management teams, to research and manage new project opportunities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Working with the Development team, Program staff, and Senior Leadership, develop, articulate, communicate, and execute a strategic fundraising plan for Benetech’s program areas.
· Research foundations, corporate and individual grant makers, to identify prospects and assist in developing proposal strategies.
· Lead the design, planning and execution of large federal proposals, business plans, white papers, LOI’s and concept papers.
· Maintain a broad technical understanding of products offered by Benetech’s programs and competitors.
· Create and manage proposal production schedules. Proactively communicate to the team and/or project lead regarding the status of tasks and projects, including potential impacts on delivery dates. Clearly outline and communicate next steps.
· Coordinate reports to funders. Work with staff to collect program outcome data and evaluate performance. Produce status reports on grant activity in a timely manner.
· Support research and writing of award nominations that will provide funding and increased visibility for Benetech.
· Produce grant tracking reports from database for strategic planning and budget management purposes.
· Perform other job related duties and work on special projects as needed.
· Bachelor's degree required, with a concentration in English, journalism, communications or marketing preferred; MBA preferred.
· 5-7 years of progressive experience and success in grant/proposal writing and fundraising program management.
· Demonstrated leadership on developing major proposals and reports.
· Ability to develop compelling proposals, reports, LOI’s and white papers with a high level of detail orientation.
· Demonstrated strategic leadership including successful running of meetings, tracking of opportunities, and execution of funding priority plans.
· Excellent research, planning, conceptual, analytical and strategic-thinking skills.
· Ability to work independently and take ownership of projects and deliverables in a fast-paced environment.
· Creative problem-solving ability, with a willingness to imagine solutions where society sees problems.
· Ability to prioritize and manage multiple complex projects simultaneously with thoroughness, accuracy, timeliness and good humor.
· Ability to grasp technical concepts quickly.
· Comfort with budgeting, spreadsheets, and financial calculations.
· Meticulous attention to detail.
· Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint and general ease with software and technology.
· Salesforce experience required.
· Programmatic experience in education, disabilities, social services, human rights, or other field related to Benetech’s projects highly desirable.
· Experience with the high technology industry desirable.
Benetech is committed to diversity and inclusion. We strongly encourage individuals with disabilities, veterans, and minorities to apply.
A non-profit company, Benetech develops community-driven products and services to address specific needs by catalyzing the next generation of technology solutions and systematic change to power the future into the present. These technology solutions aid in the areas of disability, data security, education, literacy, human rights, employment of the disadvantaged, and the prevention of suffering.