Provides professional nursing leadership and administrative direction for nursing practice for nurses, including RNs, LPNs, Advanced Practice RNs and Nursing Supervisor for multiple Ambulatory Care Units (ACUs), including West Ann Arbor Health Center and other ACS units to be determined upon hire.
Participates as a member of the leadership teams of all ACUs to provide and continually improve health care services and to support the mission and goals of Michigan Medicine.
Responsible for clinical practice of nurses, nurse staffing and scheduling and administration of nursing.
Provide supervision to clinical assistive personnel, as indicated.
- Recruit, hire, manage, supervise and coordinate nursing staff for several ACUs.
- Plan, assign and review the work of nursing and support staff.
- Counsel, develop and evaluate the performance and clinical practice of staff.
- Provide leadership for the development, implementation and evaluation of standards of nursing practice and for interdisciplinary clinical guidelines, using best evidence.
- In collaboration with other members of the ACU leadership teams, identify and plan for staffing consistent with the needs of the patient population and budgetary requirements, and appropriate to the scopes of a variety of roles.
- Participate in and coordinate the development, implementation and evaluation of multi-disciplinary patient care activities and programs.
- Work collaboratively with medical directors and administrative managers to identify and resolve unit operational problems and process improvements.
- Represent nursing services in inter-unit planning and problem-solving regarding patient care.
- Plan, coordinate and evaluate LEAN initiatives and other quality improvement activities.
- Interpret and implement Hospital and University policies and procedures.
- Facilitate the education of health sciences students.
- Evaluate and manage clinical equipment and recommend necessary expenditures.
- Assure compliance with affirmative action, regulatory, legal, patient care and safety programs.
Nursing Specific Info
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
- Current license to practice nursing in the state of Michigan.
- Required Educational Requirement:
- Master’s degree in Nursing or Health Care Administration, Public Health, Business or related field (a Juris Doctor degree may be considered)
- If Master’s degree is not in Nursing, a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing is required
- Four or more years of progressively responsible nursing experience.
- Progressively responsible administrative and supervisory experience in ambulatory care and/or hospital settings.
- Certification in nursing leadership is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and work collaboratively with others.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities, self-confidence and assertiveness in a variety of contexts.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Demonstrated ability to communicate expectations, to lead by actions as well as words, to build consensus and to share credit for success.
- Demonstrated strong understanding of regulatory requirements for procedural sedation.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead diverse, multi-disciplinary groups.
- Demonstrated strong analytical and problem solving skills, knowledge of basic accounting principles and budgetary practices.
- Creativity and a high level of energy.
NOTE: Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- Two or more years of experience in ambulatory care nursing.
- Two or more years of experience in an ambulatory care management position.
- Broad personnel, financial, and program management experience.
- Proficiency with the system applications used in University of Michigan Health System, such as MiChart, OneStaff, and Wolverine Access.
- Experience in LEAN techniques, operations improvement, marketing, and/or strategic planning.
- Knowledge of UMHS policies and procedures.
Shift/Hours/Day: Day Shift
Location: Multiple Ambulatory Care Units including (West Ann Arbor Health Center and additional ACS units)
Note: Areas of responsibility are subject to change based on the department of Ambulatory Care Services' need.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days.
This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Michigan Medicine seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan and to maintain the excellence of the University. We welcome applications from anyone who would bring additional dimensions to the University’s research, teaching, and clinical mission, including women, members of minority groups, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. The Department of Nursing, like the University of Michigan as a whole, is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all persons and will not discriminate against any individual because of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Location/Region: Ann Arbor, MI