Job Title: Payroll and Benefits Specialist
Program: Human Resources / Finance
Division: Operations and Administration
Classification: Full Time – Exempt
Location: Columbia Rd. NW Washington, DC
Reports to: HR Manager
Individual is responsible for accurately reporting and maintaining payroll and benefits administration for employees in accordance with CentroNía policies and compliance with federal, state and local agencies. The individual will serve as the organizations liaison between employees, management and third party providers to discuss and resolve problems as required in payroll and benefits.
- Administer various employee benefit programs, such as group life insurance, extended medical, dental, accidental death & dismemberment, short-term disability, long-term disability, critical illness, optional life insurance, COBRA, 401K plan and child-care benefit.
- Process monthly new hire enrollments, terminations and changes.
- Manage annual open enrollment process including gathering quotes from vendors and coordinating informational sessions.
- Complete new hire orientation in regards to benefits.
- Perform regular audits to ensure compliance with plan structure and company policy.
- Design and distribute materials to directors and managers for benefit orientations and summary plan descriptions.
- Distribution and monitoring of employee enrollment packages.
- Provide translation and assistance to employees through HIPPA
- On an ongoing basis, evaluate and revise internal processes to reduce costs and increase efficiency.
- Document and maintain administrative procedures for benefit processes.
- Reconciliation of all benefits related accounts on a monthly basis
- Produce report which shows deductions versus billed premiums to identify and process retroactive payments or reimbursements.
- Produce monthly reports that identify employees who are newly eligible or no longer eligible for benefits and process changes accordingly.
- Ensures monthly benefit reconciliations completed in accordance with accounting timelines.
- Provide employees with correspondence advising of coverage and premium changes as well as open enrollment procedures
- Provides assistance in processing and monitoring disability and workers compensation claims.
- Process death claims and provides surviving family members with coverage continuation information.
- Resolve plan administrative issues with vendor or carrier representatives.
- Administer 401K contribution remittances, ensures timely payments of contribution and match. Audits for any plan discrepancies.
- Perform other duties as assigned; travel occasionally to other sites.
- Verify time sheets and attendance for accuracy in compliance with CentroNía policies prior to processing and interface with payroll service provider
- Responsible for ensuring employee paychecks are on time.
- Update changes in address, taxes, deductions, direct deposit in Payroll System
- Work in coordination with third party Payroll Services Provider.
- Process, prepare and distribute employee paychecks.
- Confirm the timely filing of tax and voluntary deduction reports and other reporting requirements.
- Maintain detailed and updated payroll related spreadsheets, reports and documentation for audit purposes, in accordance with statutory requirements.
- Assist in the administration of employee programs and take, handle and resolve all inquiries arising from questions about payroll and system issues.
- Implement payroll changes as required by instructions provided by authorized personnel.
- Training and orientation of all new employees and existing employees on payroll system.
- Maintain current payroll system including but not limited to software changes and changes in wage and tax law to achieve alignment with HR benefits and other related areas.
- Keeping up to date knowledge of applicable local, state and federal laws pertaining to payroll and benefits.
- Uses experience and problem solving skills to develop, improve and implement processes.
- Perform other accounting duties as assigned.
Required Core Competencies:
- Excellent planning, analyzing, time management, presentation, organization, and interpersonal skills
- Able to work independently or with others in a team approach
- Working knowledge of benefits and payroll best practices
- Must possess good judgment and decision-making and a propensity for problem solving.
- Exhibit excellent written and verbal communication skills and extremely adaptable to an ever changing environment
- Highly degree of professionalism; capable of operating and dealing with confidential material
- Strong demonstration of self-motivation, continual learning, and taking initiative.
- High degree of professionalism
- PC skills including proficiency in MS Office and Paychex System
- Knowledge of local, state and federal regulations
- Flexibility in regard to schedules, sharing of tasks and changes in routine or plans
- Commitment to growth through attendance to professional development activities
- Ability to contribute new ideas and diverse methods of problem solving
- Respectful of diversity and open minded
- Dependability, patience and honesty
- Positive attitude towards the work
Key Qualifications – Required experience and education:
- Must have two years or more years of experience in Human Resource Discipline particularly benefits administration.
- Bachelor Degree in Business, Accounting, Human Resources or related fields preferred
- Bilingual in English and Spanish highly preferred.
- Human Resource Professional Certification preferred.
Expected Work hours:
A maximum of 40 hours per week
Some local traveling is expected for this position
Work Authorization/Security Clearance
CentroNía participates in E-Verify to confirm work authorization of employees. This position requires submission of required fingerprint background check.
CentroNía provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, CentroNía complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the organization has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
To comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), which prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of disability, it is necessary to specify the physical, mental and environmental conditions of the Essential Duties of the job. The following codes are used to explain the frequency of physical activity:
"F" for frequently; "O" for occasionally; "N" for not at all
On the job the employee must be able to carry/lift loads of:
( F ) Light (up to 25lbs.)
( F ) Moderate (25-50lbs.)
( O ) Heavy (over 50lbs.)
On the job the employee must:
( F ) Bend ( O ) Sit ( F ) Squat and Kneel ( F ) Stand ( F ) Crawl ( F ) Walk ( O ) Climb ( F ) Push/Pull
( F ) Handle objects (Manual Dexterity) ( O ) Reach above shoulder level ( F ) Use fine finger movements.
Community-based organization with a safe, stable and healthy environment.
CentroNia has a very diverse staff, and Spanish/English bilingualism is essential to conduct business and serve clients.
This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by supervisors to perform other instructions or duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this description.
Management has the right to revise this job description at any time. This job description is not a contract for employment, and either you or the employer may terminate employment at any time for any reason.
Access to quality education continues to be the single most important challenge facing the District of Columbia and the greater metropolitan region. CentroNia, a nationally recognized, award-winning educational organization, provides affordable, quality education; professional development to educators; and family support services to more than 2,400 low-income children and families in the District of Columbia metropolitan region. Founded in 1986, CentroNiais a multicultural learning community with a pioneering approach to bilingual education. Our holistic approach ensures that the children and families we serve receive the support and encouragement they need to succeed academically, develop a strong sense of community, and live healthy and active lives.