To advance the college's mission, vision, principles, values and strategic initiatives through continuous improvement decisions.GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
Under limited supervision, provides Veterinary Technician support for the daily operation of the Animal Health Program. Responsibilities include: monitor and supervise student performed procedures, rotations, pre and post-operative patient care, surgical area preparation and maintenance, and OSHA / AVMA compliance. This position requires independent judgment, problem-solving and decision-making skills, strong organizational skills, excellent communication skills, good computer skills and the ability to handle pressures related to deadlines.DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist instructors with live animal laboratory sessions.
- Supervise student performed anesthesia procedures.
- Supervise student performed Endotracheal Tube Intubation, Dental Prophy, and IV Catheter Placement procedures.
- Supervise student hospital nursing, animal care and / or kennel rotations. Animal care may be required on weekends, holidays, college cancellation days and breaks.
- Supervise / direct students with post-operative patient care and monitoring and instrumentation and suite clean up and sterilization.
- Monitor student medical record keeping and hospital inventory control.
- Manage OSHA compliance in regards to daily operation of laboratories and support facilities.
- Acquisition, and discharge of surgery and medical cases
- Organize and maintain all animal records
- Coordinate entry physicals and vaccinations upon admission
- Monitor animal health daily and report all problems to the attending veterinarian
- Schedule animals for surgery and dental procedures
- Maintain medical supply and animal inventories.
- Assist faculty and students in maintaining clean and organized laboratory areas.
- Complete and maintain USDA animal transfer records
- Provide animal care as needed
- Instruct students in appropriate completion of essential tasks
- Supervise and schedule work-study and part-time student employees
- Assign animal case managers
- Coordinate the reception area
- Assist students with medical and kennel record data entry
- Assist students in booking grooming appointments
- Maintain orderliness of the front desk
- Telephone reception
- Provide facility tours as needed
- Arrange for or perform periodic service / inspection on major equipment / facilities as needed
- X-ray service and inspection
- Anesthetic machines and vaporizers
- Clinical chemistry and hematology machines
- Dental scaler/polisher
- Other equipment as needed
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES WITH/WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION:
- Be able and willing to represent the College in the most positive manner with members, students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve.
- Cooperate as a team member with the Animal Health faculty and staff in performing duties essential to the achievement of efficient program operations.
- Ability to assume responsibility, deal effective with problems, and exercise independent judgment when making decision.
- Punctual and reliable.
- Ability to work in an educational environment training prospective Veterinary Technicians.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in oral and written form.
- Work effectively and accurately in an atmosphere of frequent interruptions, deal with deadlines and be flexible.
- Handle and work with both small and large animals.
- Available to work either early mornings, 6:30 a.m. or late afternoons 6 p.m. Monday – Friday. Weekend hours, holidays and breaks as needed for animal care.
Moderate to light work. Position involves sitting and/or standing constantly (67-100%) in a laborartory setting. Exerting up to 50 pounds occasionally (10-33%). Frequent (34-66%) reaching, standing, walking, lifting, dexterity, pushing, pulling, and repetitive motions. Handling and restraint of both small and large animals.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, OR REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
- 3 years Clinical experience to include but not limited: surgical assistance, anesthesia administration and monitoring, dental and post-operative care.
- Graduate of an AVMA accredited program of Veterinary Technology
- Maintain current Iowa registration as a veterinary technician
- Registered Veterinary Technician.
About this company
With the most credit programs of any community college in Iowa, Kirkwood Community College boasts more than 25,000 annual college-credit students, while maintaining one of the lowest tuitions in the state. All students are eligible for federal financial aid and the college offers $2.4 million in scholarships each year to students from all walks of life. Kirkwood is a convenient, innovative and visionary educational leader that strives to remain affordable and accessible. Kirkwood employees have long set the standard for innovative talent, visionary spirit and overall excellence in their work. Being part of Kirkwood means being part of a deep commitment to the success of every student, every day. As one of Cedar Rapids' top employers, Kirkwood strives to reward employees with a generous benefits package and perks.
Location/Region: Cedar Rapids, IA