To advance the college's mission, vision, principles, values and strategic initiatives through continuous improvement decisions.GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
Under limited supervision the Agriculture Service Technician will serve as the primary mechanic as well as assist with general labor for the Farm Laboratory in the Agricultural Sciences Department. The Technician must work cooperatively with college personnel, faculty, and students to carry out daily operations. Equipment will range from agricultural production, trucks, turf and landscape and all-terrain vehicles.DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Repair machinery, facilities and equipment.
- Service and maintain facilities and equipment.
- Coordinate ordering parts and supplies.
- Maintain an orderly, clean and safe work area.
- Insure equipment and facilities are in safe operating condition.
- Train student and staff on safe equipment operation procedures.
- Assist farm operations as needed with general labor.
- Assist faculty and staff as needed.
- Perform other related work duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES WITH/WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION:
- Self-motivated, detailed oriented with exceptional organizational skills.
- Assume responsibility; deal effectively with problems and exercise independent judgment when making decisions.
- Able to prioritize and complete task as required.
- Ability to work both indoors and outdoors in extreme weather conditions.
- Interact well with a wide variety of customers including administrators, faculty, staff and students.
- Must be able to work effectively in an environment where work interruptions occur frequently, where work on multiple projects is common, and where timelines on project completion are tight.
- Exceptional customer service skills with a team oriented positive attitude.
- Welcome, value, and nurture people of all backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, as well as support and promote an environment that accepts differences.
Position involves working in a variety of surroundings and environments. Occasional (10-33%) sitting, balancing. Frequent (34-66%) traveling, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, climbing, repetitive motion, visual acuity, lifting up to 50 lbs.Constant (67-100%) standing, reaching, talking and hearing.
Persons working in this position will be subject to extreme cold and/or heat for periods of more than one hour, noise, vibration, mechanical and electrical hazards that may affect the respiratory system or skin. Will be subject to work on scaffolding and high places.This person may be exposed to hazardous chemicals and air and/or skin exposure to oils and cutting fluids.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, OR REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
- An A.A.S. degree in Agricultural Mechanization, or related mechanics or 5 years of current relevant experience required.
- Farm background, agriculture production, equipment maintenance technician experience preferred.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must possess a valid Iowa Driver's License. CDL class A with Air Brake endorsement preferred.
About this company
With the most credit programs of any community college in Iowa, Kirkwood Community College boasts more than 25,000 annual college-credit students, while maintaining one of the lowest tuitions in the state. All students are eligible for federal financial aid and the college offers $2.4 million in scholarships each year to students from all walks of life. Kirkwood is a convenient, innovative and visionary educational leader that strives to remain affordable and accessible. Kirkwood employees have long set the standard for innovative talent, visionary spirit and overall excellence in their work. Being part of Kirkwood means being part of a deep commitment to the success of every student, every day. As one of Cedar Rapids' top employers, Kirkwood strives to reward employees with a generous benefits package and perks.
Location/Region: Cedar Rapids, IA